If a website is difficult to use, people leave. If the homepage fails to clearly state what a company offers and what users can do on the site, people leave. If users get lost on a website, they leave. If a website's information is hard to read or doesn't answer users' key questions, they leave. the Nielsen Norman Group
Textbook LinksRequired Textbooks
(A copy of each on reserve at Library)
- Designing the User Interface: Strategies for Effective Human-Computer Interaction — Shneiderman, Plaisant
- Interaction Design — Preece, Rogers, Sharp
- how recommended textbooks will be used
- An Introduction to Human Factors Engineering — Wickens, ...
- Sketching User Experiences: The Workbook — Buxton, et. al.
- Human Computer Interaction — Dix, Finlay, Abowd, Beale
- Human-Computer Interaction: An Empirical Research Perspective — MacKenzie
Thoughts on HCIfrom the ACM's CHI conference held in Toronto in May 2014. Videos uploaded to YouTube courtesy of the writers/publishers of Interaction Design.
International Standards (ISO) for Usability
Important standards and guidelines
List augmented from Professor Sophie Quigley at Ryerson University, Toronto
- Wikipedia List of ISO standards
- Overview of International standards for HCI and usability
- International Standards for Usability Should Be More Widely Used
- International Standards for Usability Should Be More Widely Used Is a short guide to the main ISO standards for development processes focused on usability.
- ISO 13407: Human centred design processes for interactive systems This is a guide for project managers and is being renumbered as 9241-210.
- ISO 9241: Ergonomics of Human System Interaction" The 200 series contains Human system interaction processes.
- ISO/TR 16982: Ergonomics of human-system interaction -- Usability methods supporting human-centred design
- Course Overview
Accessible Content Map
- Course Syllabus
- Topics (with lesson materials)
- Lesson plans, including objectives, assigned readings, and other assignments are maintained in Blackboard. Backup copies of lesson plans are maintained in case of a Blackboard outage. are maintained
- Lecture Schedule
- Semester Project
- ACM Suggested reading list on HCI
- Media resources from Interaction Design (blogs, magazines, and more)
- James Hom's legacy usability site
- The Encyclopedia of Human Computer Interaction