Each student will be responsible for creating a PowerPoint presentation on one of the following topic areas, or other suitable topic at the discretion of the instructor:
- Computers and Society: e.g., ethics, educational use of computers, role of computers in transforming lives
- Gaming or Multimedia: e.g., advances in gaming, media applications, etc. See Chapter 6
- Hardware: e.g., quantum computing, new advances in devices such as Google Goggles, 3D printers, biometrics
- Web 2.0: e.g., effects of social networking, new interactive applications, advances or creative uses of applications like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram...
- Privacy, Crime and Security: e.g., recent hacker attacks or security breaches, news about computer crimes or criminals
- Mobile Technologies: e.g., advances in smart phones, tablets, GPS applications
- Big Data: e.g., data mining, data visualization, genome data, scientific data, trending
Each presentation should summarize key points from a recent (within 2 – 3 years) news item, or blog pertinent to the subject matter in three to five PowerPoint slides. The goal is NOT to present concepts or explain the topic, but rather to find a current events story in a particular area and summarize the story for the class.
Students must bring the PowerPoint file to class on a USB flash drive on their assigned day. Each presentation should last approximately five minutes. The last slide must contain the complete reference (URLs are acceptable) to the material used. Wikipedia is not an acceptable source, but can be used to find appropriate references. The presentation will be graded based on content and use of PowerPoint.